I don’t know if we’re truly out of the recession (I think not, despite the cited data). In the months ahead things may improve, stay the same or get worse. Of that much I’m pretty sure.
The point is that there are things that successful businesspeople should always be doing whether the market is up, down or sideways. Here’s a brief reminder of some of those things:
- Keep the pipeline full. Never stop searching for new customers.
- Take care of customers. Never neglect the customers you’ve already got.
- Solve problems. It isn’t enough to offer products or services.
- Take responsibility. Understand current conditions but don’t use them as an excuse.
- Build new relationships and foster existing relationship.
- Try new things. The cliché is true: the best never rest. Innovation keeps you ascending.
- Be financially prudent. Live beneath your means. Save for rainy days as they always come.
- Count your blessings. No matter how bleak things may seem, there are always blessings.
- Aim to be distinctive. Excellence doesn’t offer much competitive advantage.
- Keep learning. Ideas are the fuel of current and future success.
What would you add to the list?