What are you doing now to make sure next year is even better than this year?
The end of any year is a good time to reflect on lessons learned and dreams to be pursued.
As this year draws to close, here are 8 things you can do now to be ready for a truly happy New Year:
- Review what the past year taught you. What are the most important lessons you can take from the success and losses of 2019? If you don’t look for the lessons you will likely miss them.
- Simplify your business and your life. Identify and focus on the essentials. What are the things you do in your business and life that matter most? Reduce how much your time and energy you spend on the trivial and unimportant.
- Repair whatever needs fixed or improved. It could be a relationship, habit or process that isn’t working. What most needs to be repaired or improved?
- Develop a learning agenda. Few leaders I work with have a learning agenda. Learning requires intentionality. What do you both need and want to learn in 2020?
- Exercise and eat better. You can’t out exercise a bad diet. How can you increase the benefits of your exercise and eating?
- Cultivate your curiosity. Develop new interests, explore interesting topics and expand your intellectual bandwidth. Ideas are the currency of success.
- Every day, ask “How can I be of greater service?” Service prevents self absorption and serves a higher purpose. Who and how can you serve in little and big ways in the coming year?
- Don’t just count your blessings, rehearse and relive them. The best way to leverage your blessing is to revisit them with gratitude.
Nobody gets better accidentally. Be intention in your efforts to keep improving. Ultimately you can choose whether to spend 24 hours every day staying the same or getting better.
Mark Sanborn is an award winning speaker and Leadership Expert in Residence at High Point University, the Premier Life Skills University. For more information about his work, visit www.marksanborn.com.